Sunday, August 10, 2014

"Once upon a time, in a faraway land..."- College FMP

The final unit I completed at college was my FMP (Final Major Project) where we were given total freedom to create an exhibition piece about anything we wanted. I dilly- dallied quite a lot deciding what I wanted to do. In the end, after the success of my milk bottle shoot, I decided to do a studio still life piece based around my favourite childhood films. I was (and still am, if I'm honest) a huge Disney fan when I was younger and so 3 of the films I chose were "Beauty and the Beast", "The Little Mermaid", and "Cinderella", with the fourth being "Shrek". Now I know that "Shrek" is not a Disney film, however it is based on a fairy tale of sorts so I figured it would be ok. 

So once I had established what objects I was going to use to represent each film it was time to start shooting and I have to say, it took a great number of test shoots and re- shoots to get the images looking how I wanted them and my final shoot was 5 hours long! Having said that, it was all totally worth it and I'm really pleased with the final set.
studio still life

studio still life

studio still life

studio still life
I shot my final shoot using a Mamiya 645,medium format camera with colour slide film. The reason for this was that the colours are much more accurate with slide film that digital and as I was in working in the controlled environment of the studio and had the time to use film, I figured why not!


No comments:

Post a Comment