Wednesday, May 11, 2016

How far could Augmented Reality provide a different dimension to visual arts practice?

Last Friday was our second Connecting Class. Our big question this time was considering how we might be able to use augmented reality in our studio practices. 

I had a small problem at the start getting the video clips to play and so I had to share a device with another student. The technologies we learnt about in the video are amazing, the kind of thing you might see in a science fiction film! In March I had the opportunity to witness these technologies first hand; at the Photography show I visited a stand where the company had embedded a digital slide show into their photo albums. The discussion we had afterwards was very lively and we probably haven't scratched the surface! I think for me, I can see the benefits of augmented reality in terms of education but I'm a little worried that if we take it too far it will become the "norm" and could potentially spoil organic experiences. 

No comments:

Post a Comment